Why a democratic school? Why integral education?


Why a democratic school? Why integral education?

Schools should be for so many things - learning about community, learning to learn, creating responsible citizens and independent adults, respecting differences, and a safe environment. When I think about my participation in schools I felt so many times that maybe we were spending to much time on content and not enough time on teaching students to learn and participate in their community.

I have always loved to learn. My parents provided so many tools for me to explore - a library card, paper, water colors, jump ropes, old clothes and jewelry, balls and baby chicks! We cooked and cleaned, we took walks, we read books, we ice skated on frozen ponds and visited museums and parks. I was lucky. I went to zoo’s and petting zoos, orchards to pick fruit. I had a grandfather who made his own sausage, and another who showed me how he used his dentist tools. One grandmother let us explore her ‘cubby hole’ - a treasure chest of old stuff and family pictures, the other grandmother showed us how to make incredible food. We all share this love of cooking - still today! I learned from our neighbor who made food from her homeland of Lebanon and her daughter who listened to “Sister Mary Elephant”. When she babysat we drew on her white jeans and explored uses of food that didn’t involve eating (food fights)! She taught us belly dancing in their basement with all the neighborhood kids. We played basketball at the end of the block - no adults making the rules. We made the rules ourselves and kids from 7 to 17 joined in learning from each other. 
I loved school - but I loved all these people who taught me things from their life and their interest. Looking back it is amazing to see our kids and their kids doing the same. Playing with each other, cooking with their grandparents, sharing life. When I went to college to become a teacher I wanted to share this joy of learning. I had amazing people in my life who guided me - by what they knew and who they were.  Teaching physical education and health gave me the opportunity to teach people of varying abilities to work together and get along. What better content to talk about with kids than working together and staying healthy! 

Public schools have been part of what I have done for the past thirty years. I believe in education for all. No Child Left Behind (NCLB) brought attention to the kids in public schools who had to many obstacles to be successful. The mandate made the schools and school systems pay attention, to teach and think differently about teaching everyone. But mandates have other sides too - and the biggest downfall of NCLB was testing. As the years have gone by testing has created other issues and problems. I was part of that system - part of the problem. So today I want to get back to my roots - I want learning to be fun. I believe, like I did when I was in my twenties, that PLAY is important! Research today tells us just how important PLAY is to learning, independence, and creativity.

When I visited the Circle School in Harrisburg last week - it was my third visit and one of many times that I have talked to the founders as I learn about integral education. As I sat in the audience of an open house I saw joy in the eyes of students and parents. Conversations about hard work and fun, curiosity and cooperation! Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. “Ten hours a week to lead the judicial committee,” he said, “a small token for the freedom I have in this school.” The freedom to learn philosophy and science, Egypt and American History, games and Youtube, tag and cooking! 

Today I choose to try to emulate this incredible environment that takes me back to my earliest learning with my parents - my dad quarterbacking the neighborhood football game on our street, my mom feeding the ducklings - watching them grow until it was time to take them to the pond at the farm. Knowing that this adventure is another learning experience. No test will tell me if the school is a success - success will come if children learn to be themselves in a place that challenges them to learn who they are and how they can contribute to their community - where life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness will be an every day occurrence.

Join us on Wednesday, June 5th at 6:30 at the Hermitage at Kirkridge to learn more about The School at Kirkridge. Follow us on Facebook, email mulroy.pat@gmail.com for more information.

Comments

Popular Posts