In the moment!


Relay 
I thought
it was a marathon
the work
that must be done.
I learned
it was a relay.
That changed everything.
by Judy Brown

Years ago I ran a few marathons. Alone for miles and miles, in a sea of people. Work was a marathon, exercise was a marathon, even socializing created an unending flurry of activity. I would dare say I was less than in the moment. I certainly wasn’t present. 

The Broad Street Run, a 10 mile race down Broad Street in Philadelphia, was last Sunday. As I prepared to run that day I looked out over a sea of 40,000 people. It was more than just a run for me. My brother and I shared training progress throughout the spring and anticipated the start together; even though we had to part about a half-hour before the race was set to begin. He runs faster than me - so we headed to our respective starting points with a plan to meet at the end. Most days I walk or run in the woods with Tootsie - working out the details of life in my head. Today I was running down the city street - I don’t run or walk with music, I want to try to be present - in the moment. 

I headed down Broad Street among throngs of other runners. I took pictures and reveled in the idea that people are generally good. Boston, and the bombing of that race just a few weeks before, on everyones mind. Snapshots of the red socks, art work, people cheering us on. So man people - all sizes, shapes, colors, and cultures together! Some slow, some fast, some in the middle - and there were fans all along the way - they too came in all sizes, shapes, colors, and cultures. Church choirs and rock bands, cheerleaders and marching bands - clapping, ringing bells, and encouraging strangers running down the street. It seemed to me to be a celebration of the very nature of the human spirit - helping each other - being kind! I saw it all - I was in the moment.
I wondered through my thoughts across the ten mile span of the race, just like in the woods. It was a perfect morning for a run - not to hot, and  the sun shining on us on. If you have never run among 40,000 people it is hard to imagine how so many people could gather and run in one place -  and that there wouldn’t be chaos and trouble, let alone room to run and think. Generally, most of us run at our own pace, when you try to go at another runners pace it usually ends in pain having to stop or walk. Finding your own pace is important and I felt great. I knew at mile six that I was strong and would finish. I ran around city hall, took a drink from a volunteer, steady and strong I continued to the finish. We were all propelled to the end by so much encouragement and kindness.

Today, looking back, I am in awe of the power that we have when we come together, a relay, in celebrating the human spirit. Ten miles later, among thousands and thousands of people, I was resilient, strong, and kinder. I met my brother at the finish where we admired each others accomplishment and did the same for those who lingered a while to enjoy the moment. I payed attention to the joy I felt at the end of that run, grateful for making the time to put one foot in front of the other. Ready for the next challenge on the road of this life, walking in the morning with Tootsie, start a school, interview for jobs - embracing writing and new projects, stretching my skin. I hope you will take the time to be in your moment, too.





Comments

Popular Posts