Summer Peaches

I didn’t just buy a couple of peaches at the roadside stand yesterday; no I bought the whole bucket! Traveling home from a meeting with some amazing school leaders – I couldn’t help but hope to steal away a few more days of summer.

I never dreamed Li-Young Lee’s poem “From Blossoms” would appear in my regular morning reflection. The universe unfolded as I was eating my peach, pondering the day and listening to his amazing use of words. I thought about what is blooming? What blooms? The poem reminded me that the “dusty peach” emerged from a blossom, that came to life sometime in spring. The juice of the sweet, yellow peach rolled from my mouth, down my hand, to my wrist as I listened. I reveled in the glorious taste of summer peaches. But, it blossomed in the spring and grew through May, June, July and August. It probably was the fruit of an old tree planted many years ago. The farmer who planted and tended that tree does not know the joy the sweet fruit brought to me this morning. Nor does Li-Young Lee know the impact of his words. Yet we were all connected for a brief moment this morning!

I think of the teachers, preachers, doctors, poets, police, factory workers, farmers, dreamers, writers, and musicians, and more, planting seeds of joy in our world. I have more hope as I think of all of us being connected, planting seeds of our own. Blossoms across the universe! Grateful for a long list of people who inspire us all and plant seeds. I am thankful for the peaches, the songs, the meals around the table, the healing touch, the poem, the bread, the hammer, the quick note to say hello. Joy blooming – taking the time to savor the sweetness of the universe!

Comments

Popular Posts