Persistence and Learning

What is my indoor garden is teaching me?

A few weeks ago I bought some seeds and a starter kit to plant some herbs. I was feeling forlorn, as I had spent the last few weeks helping my family take care of my Dad in his final days. Re-entering my own home after what felt like a lifetime, I longed to nurture something. With spring in the air these seeds seemed like just the tonic for a sad soul.

I set out with good intentions. I read the direction on the Burpee package. I carefully positioned the small discs of soil into the tiny square sections where each plant would germinate. I poured water and watched the dried out discs of dirt come alive. Next, I opened the packages of seeds; basil, parsley, oregano, baby’s breath and lavender. I was shocked at how small the seeds were and couldn’t imagine that one seed would grow into something, so I disregarded the instructions and divvied up the miniature parcels of wonder. I did this all very quickly. One of my go-to bad habits, when I am excited, is to ‘do it fast’(more on that another time).  Jean looked at me with dismay.
 
Together we tried to save some of the seeds using tweezers and egg crates to portion out some of the crowded seeds. A few weeks later with some sun, water, warmth and time the seeds were in full bloom. Despite my best efforts, there were still far too many seeds in each of the containers. My job became trying to save as many as I could. Our beautiful picture windows are now lined with containers and grow lights, soil and gravel, in the hope that these small creatures will grow and thrive. I was not discouraged by my initial fail – no, quite the contrary, I bought more seeds. This time I think I will be more diligent at following the directions. And, I think I will take advice from my smart and well meaning spouse.

Learning is an interesting thing. I have reflected on it most of my adult life. My own epic fail at gardening gave me pause to connect the things I have been reading; Ravitch, Senior, Durlak, Domitrovich, and Gullotta, Tough, Costa and Kallick. Diverse reading about public schools, the paradox of parenting, social-emotional learning, grit and habits of mind.

Learning does not happen in isolation. Just as I was ready to give up, Jean swooped in to help me. I am worried that public schools can not offer support for the types of failure I had just experienced. Despite the best effort of educators, the federal and state government still want to measure success by one test. We can’t help each other on a test, we have to do that alone. Teachers’ are burdened by similar measures and are graded on the success of students and whole school outcomes. And the world is a much different place for raising children. Parents are faced with needing dual incomes to survive, they also face the challenge of making sure their children measure up. So often, like the rest of us, parents are going it alone. So parents diligently run their children from one activity to the next, the race to succeed and the measure of the parent hanging on how well their child(ren) perform.

Together it can be possible. And I wonder, and hope, that we can find a way to give children experiences that offer safe places to fail and try again. As I read the research and articles by other thinkers I call us to try to help each other persist in a task, a project or an interest. How can we apply what we know to our lives?

As my plants sit on the shelf today and I prepare to go to school I think that it is possible. Little by little, one child, one teacher at a time. One small victory of persistence – failed or triumphant and we are on our way. Habits of Mind, Persistence, Parenting, Social Emotional Learning…. more to come!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts