The Hearts Path


“Love bears all things, believes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.”
Corinthians: 137

James Hollis said, “Doubt is a form of radical faith”. How many of us spend our time doubting ourselves and what we have been called to do or be? I know I have spent much of my life doubting. Not only did I doubt the small things - I doubted the big ones too. Sometimes I doubted so much I became paralyzed. I am sure many of you can relate to that feeling. Maybe our doubt really does take us to places that challenge us to think and have faith in what we are not sure of - about ourselves or our god.

I have walked a path across my heart this past year. I have been unsure of myself and my worthiness. I have sabotaged myself many times on this journey of faith. I have also found the worn and familiar path through the woods as a way to see myself as only I can. I have faith that my path is leading me where I am supposed to land. The trick is, I think, staying on my own path - not the path of anyone else. So often I have listened to the voice of the other or what I “think” the other might expect of me. 

What have I modeled by following the voice of the other for my children, students, friends, and family? What do I model when I follow my own heart? In another blog post I wrote; “Schools should be for so many things - learning about community, learning to learn, creating responsible citizens and independent adults, respecting differences, and a safe environment.” Is that what I modeled? Sometimes I think I did! Today, as I walk on the familiar path that honors my own intelligence, my own beliefs, my own life - I push aside the other voices. I call each of us to “be the change we wish to see in the world” - as Gandhi so eloquently stated. Stand as you are - you are beautiful!

Be the change in your family, your school, your community, state and country. Be the change that you want to see in yourself. I am blessed to have walked on the path this morning - the well worn path of my heart. I walked with myself and doubt, fear, joy and faith. I hope that as I work with others to pursue a new kind of school, advocacy for LGBT people and LGBT families, and lead in my life and community, that I set a positive example. So if you read my blog, sit at our dinner table, or encounter me by chance you will be inspired to love who you are - to choose your own path and to walk gently through your own hearts path - challenging yourself to find the answers to those hard questions in your heart. Be!

Comments

Popular Posts