Traveling

It has been a while since we have met or I have written on this blog. I have been traveling and so much of what I have seen and who I have met has given me great gifts to continue the journey of Starting a School Kirkridge. Mary Chapin Carpenter wrote a song with a verse “we’ve traveled so far, just to be here”. Today I am here! Glad for the many opportunities that I have had this spring and summer. Traveling is one of my favorite pass times. I learn so much when I travel. I love to see new places, meet new people and often, just observe, learning from how others live. Mostly, it doesn’t seem to matter if it is around the corner or across the ocean or country, I have found people to be kind, helpful and interesting. I have traveled to New York City, State College, Massachusetts, Scotland, Connecticut and Philadelphia; all destinations with various intentions and results. Every destination provided amazing people and experiences along the way, too.

In addition to traveling, I have had the great privilege to work with others who are also engaged in running or opening democratic schools, I met with friends and colleagues from Philly Free, The Circle School and Three Rivers Village Community School. I was inspired and renewed to be with people who believe in the innate ability of children. I was equally inspired by my Courage and Renewal friends who help me to understand my gifts and talents as I have joined with people and an organization that creates new and innovative ways to blend learning in the age of technology. It is incredible to be in the company of so many  people attempting to provide rich experiences based in the common belief that children should not be left behind. What a generous gift to be in the company of people who acknowledge the importance of the whole child. I have traveled so far and am finding my way right “here”.


Technology has made so much of this possible as I collaborate with people from Australia, Egypt, Oregon, Washington State, South Carolina, Indiana, China and Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania. We email, skype, FaceTime, GoTo Meetings, BBIm, enter live classrooms, and sit in chairs in coffee shops, living rooms and meeting rooms. The world is a wonderful place, with really great people. I am thankful for the opportunity to see the world, meet so many amazing people, and have the opportunity to work at what I love - dreaming a better place for children to learn and grow!



Comments

Popular Posts