It is Enough!


Our bodies’ have the ability to heal from illness; everything from the common malady to the life threatening ones. We can overcome adversity. We hold the key inside. It is a hard concept to grasp. In his book Spontaneous Healing (1995), Andrew Weil describes the process of accepting an illness (and challenges), rather than struggling against what we find difficult or unbearable. In a short he states, “acceptance, submission, surrender – whatever one chooses to call it, this mental shift may have the key that unlocks healing”. Imagine, in all of our lives, we control our own destiny. Could that mean, sometimes we just need to let go? 

Regularly we work against our natural rhythm. Our bodies and minds are amazing living machines, yet we rarely yield. When I was young my mother, a nurse, often told me – “give it time, your body will heal itself.” Her advice was not always popular. Lots of people took medicine. I did not understand. Consequently, I learned to walk through things, both physical and emotional. I had to wait. I had to work. Some days I struggle and I am often impatient. Sometimes I still want the quick fix promised in the commercials on television. When I slow down I am grateful for the wisdom of my mother; winning without a struggle, without some loss rarely teaches. What emerges, as we learn and heal, can be unsuspected treasure. I wonder what other tidbits of sage advice I shunned as I sought the acceptance of my neighbors and friends. Listening for what others expected - instead of reaching within.
Andrew Weil's words caused me revisit how I misuse and mistake the words acceptance, submission, and surrender. Initially, these words ran against every grain of my being - as gazed out the window. Acceptance, maybe, but submit or surrender? Never! In that moment, I thought only of blind acceptance, submission and surrender. Letting others take advantage of good-natured people. I conjured thoughts of weakness as I surrendered, submitted, accepted time and time again. Immersed in thought, as the sun made its way through the trees, the idea that it is not weak to know your limits or to refrain from joining the crowd graced me.
I think it is good to know when you are tired and need a rest! Perhaps that is what Weil suggests, we may need to submit and surrender to our own devices, our own timelines, and our own stories! That is when the healing comes. For some this lesson comes much to late. Right now, I wonder what it would take to embrace the idea that each of us will learn, grow and heal in our own time. I realize that submitting and surrendering to the beauty of our individual talents, wishes and dreams is a gift. Today, I submit, that may be enough!



Comments

Popular Posts